May 2019 — Although I’ve been planning this foray into the Bracebridge and Gravenhurst Farmer’s Markets since early in the new year, pulling it all together was a real flurry. There’s a lot of preparation.

In addition to developing the logo and brand and digital collateral, I bought a table, tent, banners, business cards, and sewed a very cheerful tablecloth, prepared a demonstration of produce wrapped in plastic, teatowels and Kismet Six cloths. My partner Russ made a nice pegboard to display them.

I also invested in a significant amount of custom-printed organic cotton from the US. The art comes from all over the world.

Fabric has been washed and dried in preparation for cutting and sewing.

I sewed dozens of the cloths, with branding and fabric care tags I designed and ordered online. A fair amount of experimentation and thought has gone into the design.

Two versions. There are a few with the hems rather than the serging.

I went back and forth on how I wanted the edges. Sewing machine hems are beautiful, but they are time consuming and require more fabric. Serging is tidy and efficient, but initially I did not like the look as much. My friend Pam brought her serger over for me to practice on and then I borrowed one from another friend, Susan. I used my daughter’s sewing machine to make some with hems and then produced some on the serger before committing serged edges, for this pilot anyway.

I am quite proud of the package design. Each is made of three pieces hand cut out of bristol board using an exacto blade, and it all tucks together without any adhesives. (It is of course all recyclable.) The only adhesive is a sticky label on the back with the description. It is hugely labour intensive, but I think the design is solid. If this scales up I’ll be doing it differently for sure. But when the market opened I was ready.